Monday, March 7, 2011

My Mum's recipe- for life..and also Pudina Biriyani!!

“Mummyyyyy, tell me how to make biriyani please. You know the recipe?”
“Of course! First you take 60 bucks from your pocket money, then start your bike, go to Cooks, pay up and you shall have your biriyani!!” (Cooks is a small restaurant in Bhubaneswar, and if you are the owner, please pay or at least thank me for this free publicity).
That’s my mum for you. Her philosophy in life was simple- Why bother?! She used the theory of comparative advantage very well. They can make it better than us, why should we take the pains!
Don’t get me wrong, she was a fantastic cook. She always made awesome stuff. You couldn’t disagree with that. She made sure we all agreed, in her “subtle” ways. First she would put the dish on the table saying, “I’ve made fantastic alu gobi today”. And then she would ask us, “Isnt it good?”!!!
Her interest in the culinary art increased considerably over the years. She made killer “podopitha”, amazing alu chops and awesome chutneys. But her speciality has to be the Pudina Biriyani. She had mastered the recipe which is more a pulao then a biriyani. (I don’t know what the difference is, I just wanted to sound intelligent. You could ask my friend, the weekend epicurean, but I doubt even she would know!) Every time anyone came home, she made the pudina biriyani. I suggested once that we ask the guests what they would like to have. She was scandalized and said what if they ask for something complicated which we won’t know how to make! But the truth is, the biriyani came out perfect every single time and we all loved it.
I made the mistake of asking her for the recipe. Now, if you had the privilege of knowing her, you would understand that she did not believe in giving out exact measurements. So the recipe that follows shall be vague and you shall just have to adjust.
·    Grind together pudina (mint leaves), dhaniya (coriander leaves), onion, garlic and ginger. How much of each? “Haven’t you learnt yet to not ask?” my mother must be screaming from up above! I usually find pudina should be double the amount of dhaniya.
·    Put Dhaniya powder, jeera powder, red chilli powder haldi and salt in the paste. Mix chicken in it and cook it in the pressure cooker for one seeti (I am really bad at giving out recipes.. it’s genetic, what can I do?). Now if you are making a veg version, then don’t put the chicken. Okay, you knew that? How nice!!
·    Heat refined oil, in a thick bottomed vessel. Put curry leaves, dry red chillies and chopped onion and fry. Add washed and dried rice. Mum always used the regular rice since the aroma comes from pudina. Fry the rice for a while. Add the chicken mixture to this. And add water (twice the amount of rice). Cover and cook.
·    Once the water dries, take it off heat. Mum used to put the vessel on a heated pan, and let the rice get cooked in steam.
She usually made a raita with grated cucumber to have with the biriyani and the combination was awesome. I have tried this recipe and though it comes out nice, it never is like hers. Obviously, look at the way she gave me the recipe!
There are so many things I could tell you about her. The way she could endlessly watch planes taking off or landing, the way she tortured my friends, threatening them with the “ruk ruk ruk” dance or the fact that she always wanted to wear Margaret Thatcher type clothes! She was childlike, always smiling, never complaining. She was simple but really very special. I know this blog space wasn’t meant to have personal messages, but for mummy, I will make an exception.
There was a lot to learn from you mummy- your zeal for life, your ability to forgive and forget and smile at all times. I hope I have got at least a few of your good qualities. And if I ever, ever made you sad or upset, please do forgive me for it. I miss you....  I trust you still forget the punch lines of all your jokes...!

4 comments:

Swati Sapna said...

You are right... why should I know difference between Biryani and Pulao? As long as its rice and chicken in one dish who cares?? And talking of your mom, wht didn't she ever make this Pudina Biryani for me?? :(
But I loved her Fish-egg pakodas(maccha manji)... can we just call it Caviar and act cool u think?? ;P
and her chicken curry... she really was crazy! ok, in a good way :)

Unknown said...

Dasben,
You write beautifully...let it all pour here..so wht if its a personal one!! Go on and on....
I was privileged to hv enjoyed your Mom's simple and awesome dishes laced with lots of love n simplicity!

My "Pudina Biryani" never tasted as good as hers!! Every time I planned to cook it I wud give her a call and she wud repeat the recipie in the same fashion..she was humble and never acknowledged tht she was a good cook!
I loved her "aloo-onion-dahi" sabzi and also her rajma!! Limited dishes but cooked to perfection!! Thats her!
Another quality in my aunt which I have always found unique is her habit of feeding me with her hands!!I hv enjoyed it every time I hv met her and the love with which she does this simple act for a 38yrs old was amazing!!
She was a second Mom to me and Dasben's Dad was my second Dad!Miss them terribly...

Dasben, you and you brother are lucky to have parents like them!

Maia said...

I wholeheartedly support Sanamama's philosophy of hostessing. For the moment I have made it even easier on myself by living in a very small space on another continent. But please, come over anytime. If you make it over here, I promise I will get a pressure cooker in your honour and we can experiment lavishly with the herb-to-chicken ratios.
(P.S. It is I, your Older Sister. I just use a fake name for blog commenting because my real one is too searchable.)

Dasbehn said...

@Swati- I'll make it for you.. and Mum was crazy. Period.

@The older sisters- Lets all follow Mum's philosphy and not bother with anything...