Monday, February 20, 2012

Train Travails... err ...Travel I mean!

I always was terrified of the Mumbai local trains. When I shifted to Mumbai, I never even went near a station. Borivali slow..Virar fast.. All sounded like the monsters under Calvin's bed!! Courtesy a few friends..I ventured out on trains to visit markets in South Mumbai. Always in the afternoon and under "adult supervision"..the prospect of managing alone was frightening..

I have come a long way now, though Virar fast still terrifies me!! All announcements about violent accidents and fines always take place with Virar train announcements!! 

The first task was to memorize the sequence of the stops. Does Goregaon come after Jogeshwari? Wadala is on central line or harbour line? Why would you name a place Malad? Okay, that’s not related to the sequence, but is an important question, don’t you think? 

With the sequence memorized correctly, I got a little more confident. I got on and sat peacefully. One stop before my station, I got up and stood near the exit with a smug expression, only to discover that the platform was on the other side. I had to frantically jump over some 5 women and get off!! I was still hanging from the door, waiting for the platform to appear magically on my side when they pulled me and threw me out of the train…for my own good I know.. but it was scary. Plus there is the small thing about all of them smiling and shaking their heads and telling each other about yet another novice on the train…slightly embarrassing!

So I had to learn which station comes on which side! And what a task it was. I could never get it right. I would stand in the middle, ready to leap out whichever side the platform would appear on. This went on till a friend of mine helped me out. I remember his words like the Gayatri Mantra! All major stations on the left, except Mumbai Central, and all minor stations on the right except Lower Parel and Mahim (Major stations being those where a fast train stops). It was like the time I was trying to memorize the periodic table….and 
that was not even useful!! 

Anyhow, I managed to memorize the mantra. Then one fine day I was going to Bandra - a major station and hence supposed to appear on the left. I stood on the left, waiting for the platform to appear. I saw other platforms appear but none near the train. Turned, and the platform was behind me! It’s good for the world that I can’t swear…or else I would have made quite a few women around me faint that day. I was again pushed and thrown out of the train, and informed that in this particular train, Bandra comes on the right hand side- exceptions to the rule!!

So now, I have my own little mantra too - ask at least 3 women when in doubt. Also, always make sure that there is at least one person behind you getting down at the same station as you. This person will make sure you get out  :-)

Once I figured out the method behind the madness, I started enjoying my journeys. 

Usually people who frequent trains and on fixed times have train groups. They chat, laugh, share food and jokes and keep busy. I don't have a train group, since my train travel is erratic. I sit alone and keep looking around, fascinated by what I see.

In an impossibly crowded train, where there is place to stand on only one foot, there are groups of women sharing breakfast. After some eavesdropping (what? As if you don't!!) I figured it was a party!! A treat from one of the girls who got engaged. The women were all laughing and teasing and generally being merry.

Then there is the shopping. Vendors with all sorts of trinkets, food, veggies, bedsheets..clothes..and god only knows what else, also get on the crowded trains. With the vendor in one corner and the person buying in another, and with no way of one reaching the other, a human conveyor belt is formed. The first time I saw this was when one aunty wanted to buy handkerchiefs. Someone passed me a packet and asked to pass it on. I did. Then it came back with the message that a different colour was needed. That was passed on. Then came the price enquiry. Here, the woman next to the vendor, who had nothing to do with the purchase, started arguing about the price on behalf of the other women. Highly affronted with the price quoted, she went on and on and finally managed to secure a good bargain for the lady whom she, in all possibility, couldn’t even see!

I’ve seen women singing in groups, reading hanuman chalisa, taking a nap, working on laptops, fighting on phones and doing everything else during my train journeys. In those super crowded trains, they will push you and glare at you, but give you a seat if you are unwell. Pull you in and reassure your father that you will be okay during the journey…

It’s a mad world in the train..but a world that I now feel a part of. I am not a pro yet, but I manage. My heart still beats a little faster than usual at the time of getting on or getting off, but well.. That's like statistical discrepancy, meant to be ignored.

4 comments:

Jukebox said...

ever tried sleeping while standing on one leg? it's Nirvana!
btw, you must try the most refreshing trip - get on in dadar and get off in mira road in a virar local...thats equivalent to the black belt!!

Dasbehn said...

I dont think I am ready for a black belt yet.. have travelled standing on one foot.. not tried sleeping yet!

Subhankar said...

this is one i was mentioning in the FB

Raghav said...

2007, 6 trips and innumerable trips on the train from Bandra to Kharghar. I still remember the nugget dished out to me by a man at Kurla station, "get to the doors when the station is about to come and you will be alighted by the crowd"

The fun part, and also the saddest, was it was true. Though people advised me to travel first class, I never did. I derived the satisfaction from watching a man reading newspaper in between two seated people, another man playing games on his mobile and many others doing at least one or the other thing. Being from a small town and a smaller mind, I found it fascinating.

Truth be told, I love Mumbai trains. I never travelled in the monsoon though. What I will always remember is the walk to elphinston road station from lower Parel. I felt like a protagonist in RGV movies. Lanes, by lanes, small huts, big hearts and a tv in every house.

Hong Kong metro also leaves with certain similar experiences but that I will leave for a rainy day